Ellen, who makes people laugh everyday on her television talk show, is using her voice and her celebrity to help spread the word about bullying prevention. There is nothing funny about bullying and she is dedicated to helping those that are being harassed, teased and viciously attacked.
Her website recently launched a resource page for bullying prevention.
Unfortunately, South Florida is no stranger to bullying and school violence.
The following organizations listed on Ellen's website are all devoted to ending bullying. You can learn more at their websites about the resources each organization provides.
- The Trevor Project runs the Trevor Lifeline, a 24-hour, national crisis and suicide prevention lifeline for gay and questioning teens. The number is 1-866-4-U-Trevor. You can learn more about The Trevor Project and the other great program they have at their website: thetrevorproject.org.
- The National Center for Bullying Prevention is helping to promote awareness and teach effective ways to respond to bullying. You can learn more about them at: Pacer.org/bullying.
- STOMP Out Bullying is focused on reducing bullying and cyberbullying. Find out more on their website: stompoutbullying.org
- The Matthew Shepard Foundation runs Matthew's Place, an online community and resource center for LGBTQ youth. The website is: matthewsplace.com
- GLSEN is also a great organization that is working to eradicate bullying and bias in schools. Their website is: glsen.org
- The Human Rights Campaign's Welcoming Schools Guide is an approach to addressing family diversity, gender stereotyping, and name-calling in K-5th grades. The guide helps administrators, educators, and parents or caring adults make sure that their elementary schools welcome all students and families. You can learn more at www.welcomingschools.org
- PFLAG and GLSEN have partnered with the Department of Civil Rights to create the Claim Your Rights program, to help everyone understand that they have the right to safer schools. This resource helps students, parents and teachers report incidences of bullying, particularly when schools deny that bullying exists. You can find out more about this vital resource at: http://community.pflag.org/claimyourrights
Be an educated parent, and remember, teach tolerance and lead by example! Your kids are watching!
Watch video and read more.